Saturday 14 July 2012

Jane Eyre

Finally! Sorry. I did actually finish this last week but the weekend was completely taken up with redecorating my room (and adding a new huge bookshelf!) 


BlurbThe thrilling story of mystery, betrayal and love. Orphaned Jane Eyre endures an unhappy childhood, hated by her aunt and cousins and then sent to comfortless Lowood School. But life there improves, and Jane stays on as a teacher, though she still longs for love and friendship. At Mr Rochester's house, where she goes to work as a governess, she hopes she might have found them - until she learns the terrible secret of the attic.


Thoughts: Most reviews I've read of Jane Eyre say that they started reading it thinking it'd be very dry. I went into it assuming I'd love it, partly because I'd already read part of it years ago (but gave up because it was a bit beyond the ten-year-old me). Expectations are never good when you start reading a book, and although I did love the book, I didn't love Jane as much as I thought I would. Blasphemy, I know. I just didn't really understand her. I loved her ballsy passionate younger self, but as she aged in the novel, she became increasingly passive and submissive. I'm sure it's all to do with the time, and I'm sure comparatively she was still very ballsy, but at times I really just wanted her to have an Elizabeth Bennet style rant at Rochester, or at least Sinjin.  Well she is definitely a complicated character, but that is not to say I didn't enjoy the book - I really did - I just missed the old Jane!





 
   


2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you didn't like this one as much as you'd hoped! It's one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll come back to it again some day in the future and understand and love Jane as much as I thought I would!

      Delete