Tuesday 3 July 2012

If you're in London over the summer...

On the weekend I went to an amazing exhibition at the British Library. Its on until the end of September, and if anyone is in London between now and then - GO!


It's called 'Writing Britain: Wastelands to Wonderlands' and contains some of the most extraordinary literary treasures I've ever seen. Among my highlights were: two pages of Dicken's manuscript for Our Mutual Friend, the Jane Eyre manuscript(!), and early plan for Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca, the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde manuscript, original JRR Tolkein artwork for The Hobbit, William Blake's manuscript for London, an Alice in Wonderland manuscript (with illustrations) and if I remember correctly also Tess of the d'Urbervilles and the Canterbury Tales! I'm sure there were other amazing things that I've forgotten.


So if you are around - you must go! It is also free for under 18s and only five quid for students (I think it's £9 otherwise). Definitely worth it :)

2 comments:

  1. I am in London (briefly) for the Olympics this summer so I will try and get my family to go! Thanks so much for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should - it really is amazing :)

      Delete